Saturday, August 23, 2014

버릇이 없다

You know you're back in school when you walk around the hallways and keep bumping into people who don't seem to give a shit about exchanging greetings with each other. It's perfectly fine if the familiar face is over 5 metres away, marginally acceptable if the acquaintance is a couple long strides away (I'm guilty of this occasionally) but when the person is right in front of you and you decide to ignore him/her? Consider me appalled by your lack of manners. How rude can one possibly be, to ignore and walk by someone one actually knows by his/her first name? If you cannot even spare those few seconds and give the person the respect he/she deserves by acknowledging his/her presence, I'm afraid that the reciprocity rule kicks in here and you'll be equally undeserving of that basic respect.

What did I do? I found myself looking at said persons straight in the eyes and said a big friendly hello, giving them absolutely no chance of slipping away. I'm not sure why this matters so much to me right now (could it be the raised expectations of how people should treat each other after my Korea stay?) but people should treat each other with more respect.

Don't make this world any colder than it already is.

No comments:

Post a Comment