Friday, May 22, 2015

Grad Trippin' BKK! [Day 1]

Welcome to Bangkok (a place I used to call my second home)!

 Patiently waiting for the girls to return from their 7-11 shopping trip (they were apparently shopping up a storm because of matcha pocky sticks and ridiculously cheap Tao Kae Noi seaweed - heh a classic bkk shopping trip literally starts the very minute one lands)

Took the BTS to our hostel, "Link Corner Hostel Bangkok" which is not only very conveniently located next to Ratchaprarop station (2 min walk) but also near Pratunam Market/Platinum Mall (10 min walk). (no one had any idea of the nightmare that was awaiting them - okay, I kid but their experiences were none too pleasant, I must say. Then again, I wouldn't boycott the hostel in future or warn others of it because well, you get what you pay for!)

I have no picture of my bed because.. I had no bed then. Due to some miscommunication (or not, I'm not sure - I have half a mind to sue them for misrepresentation), we got a 6-bed dorm instead of the expected 8-bed dorm and I was the unfortunate one (read: pissed, annoyed, all mixed together) who was allocated the additional bed. Which the staff conveniently forgot about until 10 pm that night. I don't know how the Airbnb booking process was like for this particular hostel but judging from my prior experience with Booking.com, a company of 7 typically books and gets the entire 8-bed dorm (with or without extra charge for the unoccupied bed) - because booking options usually only list 4, 6 and 8-bed dorms. Hence, the allocation of a 6-bed dorm came as a shock to me (cheat my money, cheat my feelings) because I already knew the extra bed was gonna suck. In all my travels combined, I've never come across an additional bed (in hostels and hotels alike) which is better than the actual beds. Tip for future bookings - be sure what you're booking for!

Started off our first meal at Greyhound Cafe (at Siam Center), a supposedly mega popular cafe that requires up to 3 days' advance booking...

I have no idea..
(Fettuccini with Shrimp and Mushroom Cream Sauce pictured)

what the hype is about..
(Greyhound Famous Fried Chicken Wings pictured)

Greyhound Cafe's decor is real pretty - love the hanging plants, vegetables in vases and the whole nature concept - but the food's nothing to rave about. The pasta was good, very decent, the wings crispy and well done but it wasn't thaaaaat amazing (that said, it takes a lot to impress me when it comes to food so..) haha. Ah, the friends totally loved the ice blended Thai iced tea (it came with a really unique crumbly texture) so I would say that's worth a try!

 Moved on to Petite Audrey (still at Siam Center) which is famous for mille crêpes; or what danielfooddiary describes as "gorgeous thai tea (pictured on right below) and milo crêpe cakes (pictured on left below)". I was suffering from a bout of indigestion (from the night before) so I had to give these pretty desserts a miss.

 Look at all the attention these lovelies are getting!

Taking selfies haha ;)

 Entertaining myself at Forever 21 (I swear the security guard was super annoyed at us lol)

SIAM PARAGON! I MEET EU AGAIN AFTER WHAT- 6-7 YEARS?!

 Straight to another dessert place after.. dessert hahah 
This time, I just had to try it, indigestion or not - after all, it was my first ever Shibuya Toast and boy, I loved it! I really don't get how it can have such a buttery/oily exterior and yet, still remain soft and fluffy on the inside (it's magic!) Pair it with a generous dollop of ice cream and lots of maple syrup and you may get a taste of what heaven feels like, in your mouth at least aha ^^ This has to be among one of the best desserts I've ever tried in my life! (going back to try the Nutella Toast the next trip!)


Then the shopping started proper (at Platinum Mall)...

This necklace is just craycrayy. It's gonna hurt the wearer so much (though at least its avant-garde design will get its wearer fashion plus points)

30 baht for a pregnancy kit... perhaps not the best place to check if a baby's indeed on its way.. ahahaha

Dinner at some random stall by the road - soggiest Thai Chicken Fried Rice I've ever had! Maybe they thought I ordered fried rice in broth... lol.

The bottle of Chang Beer that Deb downed in half an hour (salute!)

My bed, finally set up! Chose an early night (didn't work out) over clubbing at the-very-atas-Ku De Ta with the rest of the girls - though in hindsight, I should have joined them and skipped the horrible Do Not Disturb (DND) club the next night instead.

[end of Day 1]

No comments:

Post a Comment