Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Taking Flight

I'm finally here in kimchi land!

After all that (expensive) trouble with the baggage, all those precious tears and a somewhat miserable takeoff from Singapore, I have arrived safely in Seoul with my mum!

Takeoff was more difficult than I expected because it dragged on for far too long; the queue must have been pretty long for the plane was inching forward at a snail's pace. It took exactly 20 minutes before takeoff and there was (more than) ample time for me to reflect, think and of course, slip back into the emo state. The feeling of leaving home and my family behind for 5 whole months is heartbreaking and the thought that once the plane lifted off into the air, it would be more than a hundred days till I would come back to Singapore was difficult to stomach. Naturally, tears welled up in my eyes and before long, there I was in the dark, tears rolling down my cheeks. I swear the air stewardess sitting across the aisle thought I was crazy, depressed or going through some rough patch because I kept staring out of the window and wiping my tears away silently (I knew she was looking but of course, I refused to establish any eye contact with her and concentrated on the blinking lights along the airstrip). If she was so interested in watching me, I don't get why she didn't.. just approach me and offer me some happy chocolates (yes, I was secretly wishing for chocolates then ahaha), fruits or something to cheer me up (a toy would be fantabulous).

Airlines, please take note! Give sad passengers some chocolates - that would make it a more pleasant flight and increase the chances of a returning customer :P Speaking of which, I doubt I am ever going to take Korea Airlines for long-haul trips/trips of a long duration anymore. I have had enough of the baggage nightmare and trauma.. RAWRS /(TAT)\ KA's baggage policy has changed such that SEA flyers are only entitled to one 23kg piece of luggage each (that makes two for my mum and myself) but the somewhat-unknowing me/us brought 2 pieces of luggage (the rolly kind) and 3 hand-carry bags. We intended to check in 4 bags in total since 2 hand-carry bags were insanely heavy so just imagine our shock when we were told that we could only check in 2 bags! What was going to happen to the 3 hand-carry bags?!

I did read somewhere in the Terms & Conditions that every passenger is entitled to one piece luggage (23kg) but I honestly thought that it wasn't an inflexible policy - that perhaps any leftover weight could be 'used' to check in another bag. Unfortunately, as the story goes (as those who watched it unfold in front of their eyes know), that does not happen. My mum's luggage weighed only 17kg but it didn't make a difference. >:( At that point in time, I was already determined to use my superman powers and lug the heavy bags all by myself (and obviously not let the airline take advantage of my predicament by charging me an excessive USD100 for each extra bag checked in) only to realise that not only good things happen in pairs... My hand-carry bags were full of bottles filled with liquids, lotions, semi-liquids and whatever you can think of which is disallowed in hand-carry baggage (read: shampoo, body soap, mosquito repellent, medical oil, cream etc.)!!!!!!!!! (SCREAMS) Yeah, so ultimately, we had to compromise and stuff all the liquidish stuff into one bag to be checked in.

For USD100.

SGD130.

.
.
.

I doubt the total worth of everything in the bag is even anywhere near $130. (grimaces)

Sigh.Too much drama in a night. (and because my superman powers weren't as super as I thought them to be, I can totally predict that I will wake up with sore muscles tomorrow)

Thankfully, a few of my friends were there with me and it made things feel a little more manageable. I'm really thankful and happy to have been able to see you guys there - thank you and I do appreciate all the little notes from you! I'm saving them till I move into the school hostel so I'll send you guys a proper message again then! <3

Anyway, Seoul has been freezinggggggggg. Experienced a bad bout of brain freeze when we left our apartment this evening - couldn't eat, talk or do anything cos my head hurt so much.. T___T and did I mention, my fingers were freezinggggg! I like the cold... but until I get used to it, I'm just gonna hole up in this warm lil apartment (that I suspect has no air conditioning cos the air ain't moving)! :D

Before I sign off, here's a random fact of the day (which also serves as a reminder to myself):
I have a watch.
I'm wearing a watch.
There's a watch on my wrist.
It's not a cheap watch.
So please,
Do not forget that you're wearing a watch and be careful when you wave your arms around.
Stop knocking the watch on the table.
Do not wear the watch upside down (done this already sigh).
Stop forgetting you have a watch.
Act like you have a watch on!!!!

Hahahah just to clarify, it's not that I dislike watches or that I haven't worn a watch before - I do have quite a few watches! - but I seldom wear them cos I don't really like the feeling on my wrist.

Get used to it. Watch. Right side up. No flapping arms around. Careful.

Note to the sister: I probably won't be uploading posts daily this week since we have to travel around and it's tiring but I'll probably have more time on my hands after orientation and before school starts!

No comments:

Post a Comment