Thursday, October 23, 2014

The less important bits of everyday life

"TAKE THIS!"

During class last week, I suggested that we discuss our group presentation on Googledocs over the weekend so that we would have made enough progress by our first meeting (today) to get things done efficiently and effectively. The Googledoc was created, instructions given by another group member and more importantly, a deadline was set (the irony). We were supposed to insert our research findings in the document any time from Friday to Wednesday but the last I checked, hey! it's Thursday today and there's. absolutely. nothing in the document apart from my materials. It's fine if you think the module's unimportant but at least respect the deadline and respect your fellow group members. Or if you're not planning to adhere to the deadline, let the rest know! We said we would get work done - now, where's the work? Does this mean that we have to spend an additional hour or two discussing what we could have easily done online over the weekend? Why do I have to waste my precious time on that? I don't wish to sound petty but (1) I hate long and inefficient meetings (2) wahlau, people got more important things to do okay.

This isn't a big deal and I'm not unbelievably annoyed or anything but.. it's irritating. PIKA-PIKA-CHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

In other news, I'm going to meet a Thai friend tonight for dinner-supper-I-don't-know-what. SAWADEEKA~ welcome to the land of smiles (:

When he asked to meet up a couple months back, the post-exchange me was like, "OH YEAH, sure! let's catch up and have some fun!" Fast forward two months. Now.... the very-post-exchange me is like, "ummmmm (twiddle thumbs nervously) I haven't seen him in over two years and I don't know/remember the other study trip people so.. what are we going to talk about? What am I going to talk about? What am I going to DOWILLITBEOHSOAWKWARDNOPLEASENOGURGLEUR?!!" (dissolves into hysterical gibberish) Hahaha don't worry, it's just me and my social anxiety.

(Alright, it's time for some work.)

Let it be a good dinner and catching up session!

Updates
[7.30 p.m.] Alighted from bus at bus stop before Tomlinson Road, thinking, "Where in the world is this?!" Starts peering at GoogleMaps
[7.32 p.m.] Recognised the place! This is the route my bus takes on the way home! But..... to walk from here, seriously? I recall Tanglin Mall being much farther down the road.. (starts walking anyway) "Let's walk more quickly if it's really that far."
[7.43 p.m.] Stops walking and starts mapping out the area in my mind. This can't be the right route! It'll probably take me 20 minutes or more to walk all the way there.. which can't be the case since GoogleMaps described it as a 600m walk! (decides to retrace my steps to the bus stop and in the meantime, realises that the area's awfully dark and that there's hardly anyone around)
[7.47 p.m.] Speed walks all the way back to the brightly lit intersection. On the way back, I got a fright from my own shadows and was very startled when I stepped on some twigs and dry leaves (honestly thought I stepped on some nocturnal creature). "Let's just follow the directions on my phone and cross the road!"
[7.52 p.m.] Is this the hotel...? Four Seaso- urgh no! (tired and sweaty by now) Just keep walkin'! But why is it so warm and humid tonight?? (continues glancing around at my surroundings to make sure no one's following me)
[7.58 p.m.] (stays far away from the dark buildings and bushes - that was how scared I was Orz) It has gotta be here.. here.. IT'S HERE! Couldn't have been happier to see the words, St. Regis.
[8.00 p.m.] Greeted the doorman a good evening and ignoring the stares from the hotel lobby staff, collapsed into the biggest armchair I saw. "I reached on time!" (we had arranged to meet at 8 p.m.)

...

[8.10 p.m.] Checks phone and realises SAWADEEKAP is still at the airport! (decides to rest, stares at statue and ripples across the water surface)
[8.20 p.m.] Flight landed a long time ago but the baggage belt isn't sending out the passengers' luggages! (ooh, there's a wedding going on upstairs! enjoys music whilst waiting... observes wedding guests.. Where are they going midway through the wedding with a glass of wine??!)
[8.30 p.m.] No one in sight so.. let's take a walk to the washroom.
[8.36 p.m.] The lighting's good! Shall we take a selca? (nayy, let's delete it) Time to go back out to the lobby and my armchair~~
[8.40 p.m.] I'm bored. (goes back to people watching and statue staring)
[8.45 p.m.] I'm bored. (yet I refused to use my laptop after staring at it for the whole day already - silly me)
[8.50 p.m.] I'm bored. (oooh, that guy's enormous. At least 1.9m?)
[9.05 p.m.] I'm bored. (decides to sleep but fails)
[9.15 p.m.] Time to sleep? (did I already have dinner?)

[9.20 p.m.] SAWADEEKAAAAAA! THE DIVA SAUNTERS IN LIKE A DIVA. (too hilarious)

[9.30 p.m.] Visits his suite. Completely wowed. (checked the room rate for his room today and realised that it's an exorbitant $1350/night o.m.g.) There goes my plans for a St. Regis staycation.
[9.40 p.m.] Yay it's time for dinner! Drives to Ippudo and had a wonderful dinner (because of the company and not the average-tasting ramen).
[10.55 p.m.] It's time to say goodbye! (sobs)

Overall, I had a fantastic time with them yesterday (: I'm really thankful that we're still friends after 2+ years and even happier that I turned up for dinner yesterday. Without them, I wouldn't have such a great Thursday night or the chance to walk through scarily dark streets and explore the luxurious St. Regis Hotel! ^^

Great things await outside of our comfort zones.

No comments:

Post a Comment