Saturday, March 8, 2014

Culinary Adventures

This will be a log of my cooking adventures in Korea! I'll update it every time I cook :D

(It's getting late so there will be fewer words but I'll edit these when I have the time!)

First self-cooked meal in Korea: Ramyeon (라면) with mushrooms, soya beansprouts and broccoli.



The soup base was quite tasty but I would attribute it to the seasoning (aka. the dreadful MSG) and not the ingredients D: Overall, it was a very satisfying meal however, because I had SHROOMs <3 and loads of vegetables. I practically ate the entire box of mushrooms, 3/4 of the stalk of broccoli and 1/3 the packet of beansprouts. I couldn't finish my noodles (only cooked 1/2 pack) but the ingredients were more than enough to fill my tummy. It was a good meal and compensated for all the drama prior to that. (which I will talk about tomorrow heh)

Subsequent meals:

To start off...

 Soup with egg, carrots, capsicums (superbly bad idea), mushrooms, wolfberries and dates

 Soup with anchovies and instant brown rice! (psst, the capsicum totally killed the taste of the soup - never ever put capsicum in soup!)

The next meal was...
 Challenge: Cook Mapo Tofu, Singapore-style!

 Tried cooking Mapo Tofu (with Mapo tofu paste from Singapore) - my friend thought it was fine but I totally hated the taste of the mapo tofu sauce. I have never tried any sauce quite like this in my entire life (I'm pretty sure mapo tofu doesn't taste like that) - it was awfully spicy, salty and left an immensely uncomfortable burning sensation on the tongue. I had to rinse all my ingredients in hot water before eating them (still had that disgusting peppery taste) because I couldn't bear to waste them ): It was such a waste to have used such nutritious and wonderful ingredients in that sauce (cries out to my shrooms and vegs). It was either that the sauce was horrid through and through or the red pepper powder's fault. I can't figure out which is to blame for the ruined meal but I'm never going to try both ever again. NEVER. EVER.

Moving on...

 Didn't really have time to cook (must have been studying or watching drama muahaha) so I just cooked instant noodles with shrooms and vegs! Most of the time, the motivation to cook is simply to use up all the ingredients before they expire aha  (in this case, it was the vegetables) :P

Lunch!

Highlight of the cooking adventures so far - my first ever packed lunch! \(^_^)/ 
I felt so excited and gleeful when preparing my lunchbox (wow, lunchbox!) hehe my 爱心便当 consisted of rice, fried egg rolls and a generous serving of seaweed flakes! Did I hear someone say おいしい/美味しい?

Well, we need a bit of Western cuisine to balance it out...

  Cute people eat adorable pasta ^^


 


 One word - HEAVENLY.

And then there was this...

 I.. uh... totally cannot remember what this dish was. Oh right. I recall now - it was the leftover shrooms, cabbages and red pepper sauce from that pack of shrooms you see in the previous meal. Salty. Uncomfortable peppery taste again. Nono. 

Soon after, I discovered the wonderful things called broccoli and sausages at Grand Mart..


 As you can see in the picture, fried broccoli with carrots and sausages in a tasty all-purpose sauce

YUMMY!

Saw pictures of this particular breakfast (it was an incredibly chill and lovely morning) and decided to include them here heh ;)


Lunch in school sometimes...
 I didn't cook this but the kimbap wanted some screen time too :3

The real chef maddie emerges again.. 

 This time.. 
 with rice cakes!!!
 End product: Fried rice cakes and ramyeon with Korean fishcakes, shiitake mushrooms and carrots
One thought - why is my cooking so good AHAHAHAHA X) 
Lol jokes aside, it was a very satisfying meal that was not only healthy but fun to eat (had so many different tastes and textures!) :D 

Craving for Western food returned and here we have...

 Broccoli pasta!

 *awkward cough* The broccoli filled up 75% of the entire lunch box so I had to stack the pasta on top of the broccoli... I got full from the broccoli instead of the pasta (fortunately I only cooked a small portion of pasta).. It's difficult to keep broccoli once you cut them up so I usually end up eating the entire broccoli.. Orz.. that's like 10-15 florets of broccoli.....

And since I like rice cakes so much, I had to try the authentic flavor.. (this was just a week ago, during the last week of April)

 See the green stuff? Apparently, it's green pumpkin and Koreans use it in most of their stews. I totally lurveeee it and woohoooo, I finally found it at the supermarket!

MMMMMM LIP-SMACKINGLY GOOD.

Decided I had to get a more balanced diet so I got meat - crab meat!


 好.
 好.
吃.

<TO BE CONTINUED>

No comments:

Post a Comment