Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Dinner @ BlackSmith

And so, I'm back in dorm right now!

I managed to complete tasks #1 and #4, rejected the idea of #2 and postponed #3. The use of prohibited electrical appliances is enough to get one evicted (they threaten to throw people out for some many reasons, I swear that contract is a highly oppressive one aha, UCTA, anyone?) and I'm not going to test their rules because I just saw a fellow exchange student moving out on her own.... I'm not sure why she's moving out at this time of the night - she said she'll tell me some other time but I doubt such a time will come since I hardly see her around - but it doesn't seem like a happy moving-out? Why else would she be dragging her luggage and bags down the slope by herself at such a late hour?? I really hope it isn't a case of eviction or I would be sorely disappointed with the Housing Office for making a girl leave at this time all alone. In retrospect, I should have offered to help her to her new lodging, wherever it may be, but I didn't (sad look).. I was just so cold that I couldn't think straight.. >< Today's terribly cold and windy (I hate the wind urgh) and the temperature fell to 1 degree in the evening! Unacceptable - 1 degree temps should only occur around twilight hours or wee hours of the morning! Earlier, there was this impossibly strong gust of wind at Sinchon station that stopped me in my tracks, literally. I was like,


Haha but I pressed on and once I escaped that crazy vortex of air, the walk back was much easier.. Not. Aha it got so cold that I had to wrap my scarf more tightly and for the first time in almost 2 weeks, I had to put on my hoodie! If it weren't for my barangbarang (of a lunchbox, water jug, anchovies and dress), I think I would have worn my gloves as well and exposed my tourist identity haha :D

Even though I wore 2 layers (with scarf and coat) today, I think the cold has finally gotten to me because here I am, sniffing and sneezing and my throat's really dry ): The worst part? I have NO water in my room. I have to go to the basement to get a cup of water and that sucks because.. I'm in my sleeping attire. I'm not going to change out though.. for the cup of water. Just sneak down, get the cup of water and run back to my room. Gah.

(End of) Winter Fashion Tips of the Day:
1. Do NOT wear gloves. 
The locals do not wear gloves nearing the end of winter, even if it's 0 degree. Somehow, their hands must have some sort of antifreeze coating or thermal heater installed within.. o.o The only gloved hands you will find around here will probably be on the ahjumma making kimbap or wrapped tightly around a tourist guidebook. (personal experience!)

2. If you really want to fit in, change your hairstyle (for girls) to a centre-parting hairstyle. 
I think this applies across all seasons so, keep it in mind haha. This is also why my appearance doesn't blend in well with the locals. First, I have bangs which aren't exactly bangs. Secondly, the colour of my skin is different from them - mine is a natural human-like beige whereas their complexion is pearly white with a glow (sometimes it's pasty white though). Thirdly, I don't dress like them - more on that to come later. I've attached some pictures to illustrate the point above.


3. Don't wear jeans too much (for girls) but if you have to, go for jeggings or skinny jeans.
Even if it's in the middle of winter, girls still wear stockings/leggings/skirts (only!!) and proceed to freeze their legs. I do appreciate the fashion styles here and I did think of dressing the same way (this was before I reached Korea) but.. after being exposed to the bitter and sharp cold, that thought has been banished to a faraway land.

4. Boots aren't the most in-thing here during the end of winter (I can only say this in relation to mid-Feb and after since I wasn't in Korea earlier than that date to observe the fashion trends.. but I doubt it will be that much different in Seoul), unlike Hongkong or Japan. 
If you really want to wear boots, pick the leather ones (height doesn't matter) or shorter boots which look more like shoes. Furry and chunky boots are just going to scream, "I'M A TOURIST" and make you stand out for the wrong reasons. Here, sports shoes or sneakers (the former, primarily) are the most common footwear found on people. 

                                     NONONO                                                   STILL ACCEPTABLE

Okay, end of my fashion lesson for today!

Totally forgot about doing my readings D: oops! and getting my water.

Goodbye and Goodnight! <3 Love you!

Oh my gosh, realised that I didn't post a thing about the title of the post - Dinner @ Blacksmith ._. Okay, a short one then! I managed to get my BlackSmith pasta craving YAY and here are some pictures of my oh-so-wonderfully-expensive plate of dinner! Mushroom and Chicken Aglio Olio (but it's tossed in some type of yummy soy sauce!)


I was pretty stuffed then because I snacked on these at 4pm (and had my dinner at 6.30pm hahahaah didn't count on the chef cooking that quickly) - rice cakes (떡볶이, 2500W) and egg bread (계란빵, 1000W)! I skipped lunch so I got hungry around 3-ish, explaining why I snacked.. and since I had to get back to dorm early, I had to get an early dinner... explaining why I was so full from everything hahaha :P


Goodnight picture for the Day! (with Yuchun!)

No comments:

Post a Comment